This article is about the Lhasa travel and Tibet travel. You can find some helpful information in it if you are planning your trip to Tibet now.
Tibet is a mysterious land. It is called the “roof of the world” and there are many beautiful stories about this old-line place. You will not feel this unique attraction until you are really standing here in the land of Tibet.
Here are some tips for your first time travel to Tibet:
1. To get in Tibet by air is not a very good choice. The sudden transition of the altitude will possibly cause the severe altitude sickness, which is a big concern for your Lhasa travel or Tibet travel.
2. The Qinghai-Tibet train began to operate in July 2006. It took less than 48 hours to travel from Beijing to Tibet by train. The cheapest ticket is only 389 RMB .This kind of transportation is better than the air because you can slowly adapt to Tibet’s high altitude instead of a sudden transition of the altitude if you take the plane. The railways are now connected Tibet directly with Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Lanzhou and Xining.
3. You can bring some fruits and bread on your way to Tibet. For the first time travellers to Tibet, the chance to get some altitude sickness is pretty big and you will not have the appetite for regular food because of this sickness. Most people vomitted after eating meats. Fruits are very good choice in this kind of situation.
4. Some medicines(Like flu medicine, antidiarrheal, woundplast, etc) are very helpful for your Lhasa travel or Tibet travel. Some people said that the flu would cause the severe altitude sickness and kill the first time Tibet travellers. Actually it is not that terrifying to get some cold in Tibet. You need to take some flu medicine immediatly when you have a cold or fever. This will help to alleviate the altitude sickness in Tibet.
5. If you arrive at Lhasa,Tibet on the midnight, the motels near the railway station is a good choice for you. Some people believe that it will consume too much oxygen if you have a shower in Tibet. This is a ridiculous theory from the travellers getting in Tibet by air. You don’t need to worry about this oxygen issue if you got here by train and your body is going to stink after the long time travel if you don’t have a shower. 🙂 The price for these motels is about 70 rmb for a two beds room with hot water.
6. If you don’t like the motels in Tibet, you can choose the Balang hostel, Jiri hostel or Xueyu hotel instead. The advantage is that you can find some friends with common interests there and share the costs for the Tibet trip. Balang hostel: 70 rmb for a two beds room, 90 rmb for a three beds room, 100 rmb for a four beds room. 24 hours hot water and laundry services are available in Balang hostel.
7. It is really cold in the morning and you will need to wear a sweater or jacket. Do not take the risk because you will be in big trouble if you get a cold in Tibet.
8. To get out of Tibet by air is a smart choice. You don’t need to worry about the altitude sickness anymore and there are airline services available every day in Lhasa. The cost is 1200 rmb from Lhasa to Chengdu and the taxi service from the downtown of Lhasa to Lhasa Gongga airport costs 120 rmb.